St. Andrew's Church - Kenn
Don't Miss

Poster 2017 V2

2016 Accounts

St.Andrew's Financial accounts for 2016 are now available. Click here to view

If you would like to support St.Andrew's please donate.

Flood Response

Kenn Parish Flood Emergency Fund Committee

Meeting held, at the Kenn Centre, Monday 3rd December 2012

Present:  Nicky Holland, Howard Milton, Simon Preece, Peter Vickery

 

Action

  1. 1.     Apologies.

Apologies were received from Elizabeth Harman

 

 

  1. 2.     Constitution of the Committee.

Following discussions with Teignbridge District Council it was agreed that the Committee should comprise representatives from the following:

Kenn Parish Council

St Andrew’s Church Parochial Parish Council

The Kenn Centre

Residents of Kenn and Kennford (not directly affected by the flooding)

 

 

  1. 3.     Election of Chairman.

It was proposed by PV, and seconded by SP, that HM, as Chairman of the main representative organisation in the Parish, should act as Chairman. This was agreed unanimously.

 

 

  1. 4.     Rationale of the Committee.

The purpose of the Committee is to take immediate action, at a local level, to safeguard the health, life and property of the residents of the Parish affected by the flood incident and to prevent further suffering and inconvenience within the community and its residents.

 

 

  1. 5.     Administration of the Fund.

 

(a) Financial Matters.

Following advice from TDC, the fund will be managed through the financial structure of the Kenn Centre, as the Kenn Parish Council is unable, due to its constitution, to make donations to individuals.

The Kenn Centre is a registered charity and has robust financial management arrangements. Elizabeth Harman, the Treasurer of the Kenn Centre, will be a member of the Committee.

 

(b) Managing Requests.

Wherever possible, requests for assistance will be discussed at a formal meeting of the Committee.

If there is a degree of urgency that makes it impractical to wait for the next Committee meeting, a decision can be made by a minimum 3 members of the Committee.

 

 

 

 

 

 

EH

  1. 6.     Requests for Assistance.

Requests for assistance have been received from residents of 4 of the properties affected by the flooding.

 

Given that the minutes of the Committee meetings could be made available to members of the public, it was agreed that the details of individual requests would remain confidential but would be available for financial scrutiny by bodies such as TDC or the Charities Commission, if required.

 

 

  1. 7.     Any Other Business

 

(a) It was agreed to create a Directory of the properties affected by the flooding, to aid communication with the residents and record keeping.

(b) There will be an open event, at the Kenn Centre, on Friday the 7th December, involving the Environment Agency, Devon County Council and TDC. The event will be staged between 12.00 mid day and 7.00 pm

(c) It was agreed to provide each affected household with a Christmas hamper. HM agreed to source a suitable version from Bookers.

(d) HM reported that a dry storage facility has been offered by Animal Paradise, at Clapham. PV added that Mervyn Hosking had also offered the use of a large shed in Kenn.

(e) The management of the Kennford International Caravan Park has offered the use of its commercial launderette.

 

 

 

PV

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

HM

  1. 8.     Future Meetings.

It was agreed that future meetings would be arranged as necessary rather than fixing a set, regular date.

 

 

 

 

Kenn Parish Flood Emergency Fund Committee

Meeting held, at the Kenn Centre, Monday 10th December 2012

Present:  Elizabeth Harman, Nicky Holland, Howard Milton, Simon Preece, Peter Vickery

 

Action

  1. 1.     Apologies.

 

All Committee members were present.

 

 

  1. 2.     Donations.

 

EH reported that £7,500 had been received from TDC, with notice that a further £7,500 was available, on request, if required.

£2,500 has been offered by Kenn Parish Council, £1,265 from St Andrews Church, £2,000 from Trehill Estates and £1,130 from the collection bucket situated in Kennford Stores.

 

 

  1. 3.     Requests for Assistance.

 

Requests for assistance have been received from 3 additional families. In addition, more details have been provided for 2 of the requests discussed at the meeting of the 3rd December.

After much discussion, the Committee agreed that it should avoid paying for replacement white goods which could subsequently be replaced by goods from successful insurance claims, thus making the original replacement obsolete. NH suggested contacting Havills Electricals with a view to hiring white goods if necessary. PV agreed to do this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PV

  1. 4.     Offers of Help.

 

Offers of various pieces of furniture etc. have been made by a number of people, not all of them based in the Parish.

It was agreed that an offer of a 3 piece suite from Dorset was impractical, due to transport problems. PV agreed to send an e-mail thanking the person concerned.

It was also agreed to accept the offer of the furniture of a house clearance in Teignmouth. PV agreed to make the necessary arrangements.

 

 

 

PV

 

 

 

PV

  1. 5.     Christmas Hampers

 

Some members of the Committee raised concerns about the decision, made at the previous meeting (7c), to provide a Christmas hamper to each affected household. It was felt that this may not be viewed as an appropriate use of the fund.

After a discussion, it was agreed to offer each affected household a cheque for £200, to cover immediate, out of pocket, expenses.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EH

  1. 6.     Directory of Households

 

PV presented the first draft of the Directory, the production of which was agreed at the previous meeting (7a).

Committee members were able to complete some of the missing details and all members were charged with seeking the remaining details so that all the cheques could be provided as soon as possible.

 

 

 

 

 

 

All

  1. 7.     Next Meeting

 

To be arranged.

 

 

Kenn Parish Flood Emergency Fund Committee

 

Meeting held, at the Kenn Centre, Thursday 3rd January 2013

 

 

 

Present:  Elizabeth Harman, Nicky Holland, Howard Milton, Simon Preece, Peter Vickery

 

 

 

 

Action

  1. 1.     Apologies.

 

All Committee members were present.

 

 

  1. 2.     Finance

 

EH reported that the fund currently stood at £18,000 following the payment of an initial “immediate out of pocket expenses” allocation to each household affected by the flooding. PV added that the details of the 2 remaining households have been received and their cheques would be delivered by the weekend.

EH further reported that donations have been received from the following:

 

£350 from the Winning Post Service Station

£148 from St Clements Church Powderham

£200 from the Earl and Countess of Devon

£200 from Shillingford and Shillingford St George Parish Council

£500 from All Saints Church Teignmouth

£500 from Cobell Ltd Exeter (via Dave Proud)

 

 

  1. 3.     Requests for Assistance.

 

A total of 6 requests for assistance were considered. Payments were agreed in the case of 4 of the requests with further information required for the other.

PV informed the Committee that an agreement had been reached, with Havils of Exeter, regarding the short term hire of washing machines and the purchase of various white goods.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  1. 4.     Offers of Help.

 

PV reported that Neil Woodward had arranged the collection of the furniture from Teignmouth, as discussed at the previous meeting (minute 4) and Andy Lethbridge had delivered a fridge to a flat in Dawlish.

The Committee recorded its thanks to both Neil and Andy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  1. 5.     Counselling Services

 

HM informed the meeting that Counselling services were being offered, by TDC, for anyone affected by the flood emergency.

It was agreed that the Flood Emergency Fund would support any costs involved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  1. 6.     Directory of Households

 

This is now a full list of all households affected by the flooding.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  1. 7.     Next Meeting

 

To be arranged.

 

 

Kenn Parish Flood Emergency Fund Committee

Meeting held, at the Kenn Centre, Thursday 7th February 2013

 

Present:  Elizabeth Harman, Howard Milton, Simon Preece, Peter Vickery

 

 

Action

  1. 1.     Apologies.

 

Due to the short notice for the meeting, it was not possible to contact Nicky Holland.

 

 

  1. 2.     Finance

 

EH reported that the fund currently stood at approximately £16,500.

 

All the cheques for immediate “out of pocket” expenses have been delivered and 7 have been returned.

 

There appeared to be an outstanding bill from Havils, which PV agreed to discuss with Martin Havil.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PV

  1. 3.     Requests for Assistance.

 

A total of 5 requests for assistance were considered. Payments were agreed in the case of 3 of the requests with further information required for one other. PV agreed to contact the household concerned for further information.

 

The Committee felt that the final request fell outside the current remit of the fund.

 

 

 

 

 

PV

 

 

 

  1. 4.     Counselling Services

 

HM informed the meeting that Counselling services offered, by TDC, had been accessed by at least one household.

 

It was agreed that the Flood Emergency Fund would continue to support any reasonable costs involved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  1. 5.     Next Meeting

 

To be arranged.

 

 

Kenn Parish Flood Emergency Fund Committee

Meeting held, at the Kenn Centre, Thursday 7th February 2013

 

Present:  Elizabeth Harman, Howard Milton, Simon Preece, Peter Vickery

 

 

Action

  1. 1.     Apologies.

 

Due to the short notice for the meeting, it was not possible to contact Nicky Holland.

 

 

  1. 2.     Finance

 

EH reported that the fund currently stood at approximately £16,500.

 

All the cheques for immediate “out of pocket” expenses have been delivered and 7 have been returned.

 

There appeared to be an outstanding bill from Havils, which PV agreed to discuss with Martin Havil.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PV

  1. 3.     Requests for Assistance.

 

A total of 5 requests for assistance were considered. Payments were agreed in the case of 3 of the requests with further information required for one other. PV agreed to contact the household concerned for further information.

 

The Committee felt that the final request fell outside the current remit of the fund.

 

 

 

 

 

PV

 

 

 

  1. 4.     Counselling Services

 

HM informed the meeting that Counselling services offered, by TDC, had been accessed by at least one household.

 

It was agreed that the Flood Emergency Fund would continue to support any reasonable costs involved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  1. 5.     Next Meeting

 

To be arranged.

 

 

 

 

 

Kenn Parish Flood Emergency Fund Committee

 

Meeting held, at the Kenn Centre, Wednesday 27th November 2013

 

 

 

Present:   Elizabeth Harman, Howard Milton, Peter Vickery

 

 

 

 

Action

  1. 1.     Apologies.

 

Apologies were received from Nicky Holland and Simon Preece.

 

 

  1. 2.     Notes of the Meetings

 

The notes of the previous meeting, held on 15th August 2013, were agreed as a correct record.

 

 

  1. 3.     Finance

 

The balance of the fund stands at £9,992

 

 

 

 

 

  1. 4.     Requests for Assistance.

 

Two requests for financial assistance were presented to the Committee. As both were for assistance with improvements relating to flood prevention, rather than flood relief, it was agreed not to pass them until the future of the fund has been decided (see item 5 below).

 

 

 

 

 

 

  1. 5.     Future of the Fund.

 

After a lengthy discussion it was decided that, as there have been no new requests for assistance with flood relief items, for many months, plans should be drawn up to dispense the balance of the fund and, thereafter, close the fund.

 

The Committee agreed that there were three possible approaches to take:

 

(a)   To continue to make individual allocations to requests, on a “first come first served” basis.

(b)  To pass the balance of the fund to another body, such as the Parish Council, for use for any future flood prevention purposes.

(c)  To divide the balance of the fund between those households affected by the floods of November 2012.

 

After further discussion, those present felt that the original intention of the organisations and individuals who donated the money for the fund had intended the donations to be used for the purpose of relief for those affected by the flood. This effectively ruled out option (a). It was also noted, from discussions with those affected, that many of the households had not claimed for all their uninsured losses. With that in mind, it was agreed to pursue option (c) by offering a further payment, of approximately £300 to each affected household. It was acknowledged that some households had not accepted the original payment in December 2012, and this was likely to occur again. Nevertheless it was agreed to pursue this option in the hope that the majority of the households would accept the payment. Any residual balance, which should be quite small, would be a subject for a further meeting.

 

PV agreed to prepare a short notice, for each household, in advance of the payment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PV

  1. 6.     Donated Furniture and Household Goods

 

HM confirmed that all outstanding items of donated furniture etc. have been passed to other organisations.

 

 

  1. 7.     Next Meeting

 

To be arranged.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Services each Month

Service Times

1st Sunday
10:00am - Morning Worship & Sunday School
2nd Sunday
8:15am - Eucharist
3rd Sunday
10:00am - Sung Eucharist & Sunday School
4th Sunday
8:15am - Eucharist
5th Sunday
10:00am - Joint Service
Every Thursday
9:00am - Eucharist